Orrin Woodward’s LeaderShift

leadershiftcoverI cannot tell you how excited I was when I heard Orrin Woodward and Oliver DeMille teamed up to co-write a book. They are hands down two of my favorite leadership authors separately, so there was no telling what they’d be able to do together (SPOILER ALERT: LeaderShift was fabulous).

Though not typically a fan of the educational story format (you get to points so much faster when you cut out the dialogue), I barely even noticed it with this book. (And I have to admit it’s easier to recall a conversation I read than to recall a paragraph I was trying to retain). It was a quick read (a couple of days, tops), and the information sticks with you long after you’ve put the book down. LeaderShift is a must-read for anyone even remotely concerned about the state of freedom in this world.

The 5 Laws of Decline

The basic concept boils down to identifying and then discovering a solution for the 5 Laws of Decline (also discussed at length in the final chapter of Orrin’s solo book RESOLVED). What are the five laws? Glad you asked:

  1. Sturgeon’s Law – 90% of everything is crud. The other 10% is actually pretty cool.
  2. Bastiat’s Law – we will do the least amount of work possible to satisfy our wants and desires
  3. Greshem’s Law – when a bad behavior is rewarded, more bad behavior will be done, which in turn drives out the good behavior
  4. The Law of Diminishing Return – to continue without significant changes after a certain level of performance has been reached will result in a decline of effectiveness
  5. The Law of Inertia – an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and an object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted upon by an outside force

Now, to discover just how all these laws fit into the decline of current western civilization (read here if you want to know what it did to the Greeks), and the subsequent solutions proposed to these issues? I recommend reading the book!

The world needs a LeaderShift like it’s never needed one before. We’ve never had as many freedoms as we do now, and we’ve never been in more danger of losing them all. So, buy a copy of the book, and let’s change the world! (Picture “Battle Hymn of the Republic” playing or something)

God bless,
Catherine Crichlow



  1. Robby Crichlow · · Reply

    Wow, good stuff! Just started reading the book myself. I agree that we need more people to step up and lead (points finger at self).

    Keep the blogs coming.

  2. Rob Crichlow · · Reply

    Leadershift is a great book and will have a lot of positive impact on raising up leaders in country to solve the tough issue facing us. Everyone I know who has read the book give it high praises. We need become better leaders ourselves so we can participate in the solutions and not add to the problems. Thanks for the post!

  3. woot woot!! see u soon!!

  4. […] Speaking of resources, here’s a list of eight principles from Orrin Woodward’s aforementioned book that explain what is involved in a true friendship. (Have you checked out his new book, by the way? It’s awesome!) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: